clams unsafe to eat
The California Department of Public Health has issued a warning to not eat sport-caught bivalves from Marin and Sonoma Counties. This includes clams, cockles and mussels. High levels of PSP (Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning) have been found in mussels and clams from Tomales Bay. The clam sample had over 8 times the warning level of PSP toxin. Earlier this week an individual that ate mussels was hospitalized with PSP symptoms. Testing of the clams and mussels will continue. Crabs and fish are not affected.